Saturday, December 13, 2008

We don’t need maid agencies as go-betweens

S Mar 16, 07 4:49pm
Why should we be paying maid agencies to do what we ourselves can do. If I’m not mistaken, farmers are encouraged not to use middlemen to dispose of their produces. I have the opportunity to get to know an agent in Indonesia who would allow me to bring in a maid. I usually call him and he prepared the traveling documents (he selects for me). He will sent the maid by bus to an agreed location where my wife and I would pick her up. Then I personally send her for a medical check-up and prepare the necessary documents required for her work visa. I do this all with the help of the immigration officers who in fact encouraged me not to use labour recruitment agents. Now my current maid is due to return home and my Indonesian agent informed me that I can no longer bring in a maid from Indonesia without going through a local agent. Why is this so? Why can’t I do it myself? Why must I pay such high agent fees? Why can't I do it my own way which is more economical? Why must I be subject to the mercy of the system? Do you know that by doing it myself, I save a few thousand ringgit. Why make me spend unnecessary money? The present arrangement by the relevant authorities is rigid and it benefits others instead of the consumers. What’s going on? Can someone please enlighten me?

No comments: